Saturday, March 5, 2011

Concerning the Race Schedule

I added the race schedule at right for two reasons: to let everyone know what races I will be attending and to remind myself to get my lazy ass outside and RUN!

This is the first time since college that I have planned out a race schedule.  Over the last four years or so, I have just jumped into races when I felt like it, ran races out of shape, lucked out in a few others, and have registered for races only to miss them due to being injured.  I also think that having a schedule to see makes it easier to get the work done in order to be in shape for those races.

Now, what was the thinking behind the races on the schedule?  Why those races?  Most of them were already on a hypothetical list.  The Big 3 Laramie trail races (Pilot Hill, Jelm Mountain, and Silent Trails) are races I love and try to run every year.  I missed all three last year, and haven't run Silent Trails since 2008 (2009's race was cancelled due to a massive snow storm).  Wyoming Race for the Cure is important since I have to represent Team Green and its incredible breast cancer survivors, my aunt Melody and my mama.

I chose Greenland because a contingent from Laramie will be there and I felt a relatively flat trail 25K would be a good benchmark a month before Pilot Hill.  As for Cheyenne Mountain, I just thought it sounded fun.  

Oh, and the Wyoming Half-Marathon seemed like something I should do.  My old junior high XC coach (and 7th grade social studies teacher) puts on the four races that weekend.  



However, this schedule is not complete.  I want to do at least one race a month, if not two (when reasonable).  I want to build-up to the 50K or 50M range eventually, so I hope a succession of 25Ks (and some mileage) will get me there.  I may try to find a 50K toward the end of July or end of August.  The beginning of September is still open.  I was thinking something relatively easy before Jelm.  And November and December are always good times to save a little money and find a nice race somewhere warm.  If anyone knows of a good half or 25K or something in the southwest then, let me know.

This schedule is a work in progress, but it is nice to have it there in print, staring back at me, reminding me to go train.  Races are so much more enjoyable when one is in shape and they don't kill you.  I haven't felt that way in a long time.  I miss it and want it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment