Monday, February 21, 2011

Weekend Review: Denver and Murder By Death



Those who know me well know my general hatred for any and all things associated with the state of Colorado (that may have to be the subject of a future post), but I must say that once in a great while, fun times can be had south of the Wyoming border.

The main purpose for the trip was to catch Murder By Death at the Bluebird Theater Saturday night.  Murder By Death is one of my favorite bands.  Saturday's show marked my fourth Murder By Death experience.

I went in to the show and found my buddy Sam and his girlfriend.  It was their first MBD experience and one they won't soon forget.  The two openers, Damion Suomi and the Minor Prophets followed by The Builders and the Butchers, were both great bands with wonderful stage presence.  By far the best openers I've seen with MBD.

Damion Suomi and the Minor Prophets
The Builders and the Butchers
MBD hit the stage and started cranking them out.  They managed to play my particular favorites; "King of the Gutters" from their latest album, "Fuego!", a solo (i.e. just Adam) "Shiola", "Until Morale Improves...", and an encore that began with "Desert Is On Fire."  

Murder By Death


The lovely Sarah Balliet on cello


Adam Turla

Adam and Matt

We had a chance to talk with both Adam and Sarah after the show.  Sam, my previously mentioned buddy, works for the Student Activities Council at the University of Wyoming.  His main goal in life during his tenure with SAC has been to bring MBD to UW for a free show.  He claimed to have succeeded in doing that about a month ago, but I refused to believe him.  Nowhere on the band's website did it mention anything about a show in Laramie, WY.  However, we confirmed with the band their plans to come and play a free show at the Union Ballroom on March 30.  I'm looking forward to seeing them in Laramie.  Having a whiskey sour with them at the Buckhorn after the show would be pretty dang cool.

Photos stolen from Allen Klosowski at heyreverb.com.  Great photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment