Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Weeks Ending Feb. 26 & March 4 & THE TRUDGE!

I've been a little on the complacent side the last couple of weeks.  I got some running in, but not nearly as much as I should have.  The end of February/beginning of March is always a rough time in Laramie.  One day, the weather will improve and one may think that winter is turning the corner and spring is coming, only to have the weather turn terrible for days on end, crushing all hopes and spirit.  And as usual, that happened again this year, and as usual, I didn't want to run in that crap.

Things were bad enough this year that we actually postponed the Twin Mountain Trudge.  That, in eight years, has never happened.  The race, which was supposed to happen Feb. 25, was postponed to March 3, and even that almost didn't happen.  It's not that it was even that cold, but we did get a couple of decent snowstorms through the area and our old friend the wind bore down on our heads.  Six inches of fresh snow coupled with 40-60mph winds (we had gusts up to 95mph in the area) creates horrible ground blizzards and ices the roads so bad that I-80 was closed for the better part of two days.

When Alec went up to mark the Trudge course on the 24th, it not only took him nearly 10 hours, but by the time he came back around on the loop, his markings had been blown away and his snowshoe prints blown over.  He also couldn't get his car down the Blair Road and came back to find it drifted in.  He called us and told us no way.  We spent Friday evening calling and emailing folks to tell them not to even try to show up for the race.

So thanks to the wind, we didn't Trudge on the 25th.  I wasn't too heartbroken since I was mentally checked out that week.  Just wasn't into it.  I ran a total of 21 miles on three days that week.  I'm probably being a sissy-la-la, but I don't want to run in 60mph winds.  It's not tough, it's stupid.  Period.

Here's what I did Feb. 20-Feb. 26:

Mon. Feb. 20 - 4 miles in 30 min (7:30 pace).  Slow recovery run on the Greenbelt.  I was pretty sore from running and painting the previous day.

Tues. Feb. 21 - 10 miles in 77 min (7:42 pace).  Tuesday Night Hills.  Seriously not feeling it this night.  Warm-up run to the hospital, then 6xhills in 1:59, 1:54, 1:57, 1:59, 2:00, 2:00.  I took three minute rests.  Cooldown run home.  Very blah.

Wednesday and Thursday we had snow and wind.  I stayed inside.

Fri. Feb. 24 - 6.5 miles in 46 min (7:04 pace).  Friday form workout with El Jefe and Patrick.  2x form drills followed by 5x2 laps in outside lane (360m) with one lap jog rest.  Hit first four in 69 sec with 60 sec on rest laps with the last 2-lapper in 61 sec.  Cooldown run home.

Week's Miles: 21
Running Time: 2:33
Year to Date: 370 (44:47 running time)

Mon. Feb. 27 - 5 miles in 36 min (7:12 pace).  Morning run on the Greenway in Cheyenne before heading back to Laramie.

Tues. Feb. 28 - A.M. 3 miles in 20 min (6:40 pace).  Morning run on the Greenbelt.  A dusting of snow hid some ice under the interstate overpass and nearly took me down.  Some day, I will be able to go an entire run and feel confident in my foot placement.

P.M. - 9 miles in 63 min (7:00 pace).  Tuesday Night Hills.  Once again, it was pretty icy and dicey out.  The wind picked up during the run, which is always so helpful.  Given the weather conditions and a lack of ambition, we decided that only four reps instead of the usual six were in order.  I hit them in 1:53, 1:56, 1:51, and 1:49 with three minute rests.  Cooldown run home.

Wed. Feb. 29 - A.M. 3 miles in 20 min (6:40 pace).  Morning run on the Greenbelt.

Noon - 7 miles in 48 min (6:54 pace).  Lunch run on the Greenbelt in what turned into somewhat decent weather.  I wore shorts and the sun was out, but the wind was again a-blowin'.  Surprise, surprise.

February Miles: 190
Running Time: 22:28

Thurs. March 1 - 5.5 miles in 37 min (6:43 pace).  Ran Greenbelt to Curtis, Curtis to 9th, 9th to Garfield, and Garfield home.  Nice little morning run, even with the single digit temp.

Fri. March 2 - 6 miles in 39 min (6:30 pace).  Friday for work with El Jefe and Patrick.  2x form drills followed by 5x2 laps (360m) with one lap jog rest.  Hit the first for in 69-71 sec and cranked the last one in 57.  Damn, it feels good to open up like that once in awhile.  Cooldown home.

Sat. March 3 - 11 miles in 3:33:04 (19:22 pace).  TWIN MOUNTAIN TRUDGE!  As Patrick mentioned after we postponed two weeks ago, you cannot stop the Trudge, you can only hope to contain/survive it.  While the weather and roads were better a week later, they weren't that much better.  The course still had mid-shin to knee deep snow for the majority of it, and once again, the wind was howling up to 60mph.  What was originally a start list of 50 people was whittled down to 23 thanks to conflicting schedules and Alec's ominous emails.  We all couldn't wait for the start since standing around in the wind was nothing short of frigid.

Starting, with the wind to our backs.


A visual example of the wind.

Unlike in years past, I was actually in shape for this race.  Or at least I was fit aerobically.  I hadn't really done anything in the mountains since the Snowy Range Snowshoe races the beginning of January.  I probably should have.  I actually felt pretty good on the first half of the course.  My only issue was that my pants, once again, kept falling off my ass.  I eventually had to stop and tie them into the waist strap of my bag.  Equipment malfunctions really piss me off.  The very next day, I bought some new snow pants that have both belt loops and cinch straps (since the pants I am now pitching had neither).

I started to fall apart on the Devil's Loop.  I made sure to get some calories down the hatch, and kept sucking down the water.  It was a nice, sunny day up there, even with the wind, and I feel like I was a little less pissed off this year than I have been in past years.  I did curse some here and there, but I was just tired.  My toes got pretty cold on Skeleton Trail, and of course, we turned back into the wind which stung the face with snow and dirt and made running all but impossible.


Starting Devil's Loop.  I was still feeling good at that point.
  

This picture demonstates my pants falling off my ass.

I just went with it for the most part.  There was no such thing as running, and I just bore down and trudged.  A couple of miles from the finish I cramped really badly, especially in my hamstrings from pulling my legs out of postholes.  I got out into the open for the finish, and fought the wind with what energy I had left.  I did manage to "run" into the finish.  All I wanted at that point was some dry clothes and to get the feeling back in my toes. 

I had originally signed up for the 22-mile double loop, but I declined to continue.  One of that was more than enough.  I climbed into Josh Fuller's little Scamp camper, changed, ate some soup, got my toes warm, and then drank one of the tastiest PBRs I've ever had in my life.


Survivors' Dinner Party at The Library.  So many tasty calories!

*Photos by Wendy Perkins*

Week's Miles: 50
Running Time: 7:56
Year to Date: 420 (52:43 running time)

Gear: Asics Sky Speed (173 miles) Saucony Peregrine (193 miles)

And with that, I am off.  Since the weather appears as though it's actually going to cooperate for once, I am hopping in the truck and heading up to Boise for a few days.  I'm going to stop and camp at City of Rocks on my way up, and then hang out with the Knights, and hopefully do a little spectating at the NCAA indoor championships and even more hopefully, do a little trail running.  Man, I sure could use some trail running.  Winter, BE GONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment