Friday, March 23, 2012

Summer Adventures-Planning Stages

Continuing on the subject of my previous posts, I've been day-dreaming about mountains non-stop this week.  Naturally, that got me thinking about what I want to do with my weekends in the coming months.  That, and a pretty sweet invitation for an amazing climb has me itching to climb mountains.

However, my desire to kick ass at Big Horn has not waned.  I have about three months to get back into it and get ready.  My next couple of months, therefore, will have to be pretty focused on running, especially since most of my mountaineering plans need to wait until a little later into the summer due to snow. 

Hey Big Horns!  I'm going to run 50 miles through you!
And on the running front, I've changed my race schedule a couple of times in the past weeks, and I plan to do it again.  I have yet to register for the Collegiate Peaks 25M next month down in Buena Vista.  I had wanted to do a progressive race distance build-up to Big Horn, starting with a 25M in April, 50K in May, and then Big Horn in June.  However, I may opt out of Collegiate Peaks because I procrastinated and missed the early registration deadline, and now race entry plus pre-race dinner is over $80.  Also, the course seems to be primarily graded forest roads and two-tracks which aren't the most challenging or inspiring things on which to run.  Maybe I just need to go somewhere (Fruita, Moab, Durango?) and have a weekend camp.  Spend two or three days just camping out and running trails.

I believe I am still planning to get down for the Jemez trail race.  I have been trying to find someone to go down with me, but so far that's been to no avail.  That race is supposed to be pretty brutal, so, in other words, something right up my alley.  That would be my 50K before the 50M at Big Horn.


Oh, hey Caballo Mountain.  I've heard so many stories about you.
June gets busy.  Pilot Hill is the 9th with Big Horn the following weekend.  Then I have a week or so off before heading down to the Grand Canyon for Bret and Janelle's wedding on the 30th.  Lunde, Janoch, and I are trying to get set up to do some camping/hiking/exploring/running in the days before and after the ceremony.  I've never been to the Grand Canyon, so I am really looking forward to that.


Hey, Pilot hill.  I'm going to run up you.  Again.

Yes, please.
After that, things open up a bit.  My friend Elizabeth has invited me on a trip to climb Mt. Rainier some time in July.  I'm really thinking yes to that.  Bone up on my mountaineering skills and see one of the great mountains in North America.  Seriously, why the hell not?


Seriously, why the hell not?!
I have also recently decided that, seeing how there are all these 14ers in Colorado, I probably should start climbing them.  I don't have any big races planned for July or August, so I'm open to some adventuring and such. 


Mount Zirkel Wilderness?  Yes.

Rawahs?  Yes.

Never Summer Range?  Yes.

Of course my beloved Snowy Range.

A Teton adventure? 
September gets busy again with a race pretty much every weekend.  So, I should get my mountain climbing in when I have the chance!

That's it, for now.  I am looking forward to it.  First up, some camping this weekend with Lunde.

No comments:

Post a Comment