Monday, June 27, 2011

Week Ending June 26 - Getting Back on Track

Mon. June 20 - Day Off.

Tues. June 21 - 7 miles in 51 min (7:17 pace).  I turned 28 today.  I was feeling a little bummed out about that (birthdays are kind of depressing) so I thought some trail therapy was in order.  Went up after work for a quick Headquarters-Summit loop.  Felt pretty good; I was cruising well, in my opinion.  Nice little birthday present to myself.  Then I had a gathering at the house.  It was nice to have everyone over; I haven't seen some folks in a couple weeks.  The Pabst was delicious.

Wed. June 22 - 6.5 miles in 45 min (6:55 pace).  In an attempt to vary my workouts, and since I had done a tempo run last week, I decided a good alternative was to do a long interval workout.  My objective was 4 x 1200m with 4 min jog rest.  I wanted to run the intervals between 5:40 and 6:00/mile pace, meaning I wanted to hit the intervals in 4:15-4:30.  I got excited and did the first one in 4:07, then came back and ran 4:21 and 4:24 for the next two.  By then I was pretty cooked; it was pretty warm outside and this was the first interval workout I had in...years?  I decided to pack it in after three.

I was thinking, in hindsight, that maybe intervals in June are not the best idea.  Right now my focus should really be on increasing my mileage comfortably in order to build a decent mileage base over the summer so I can be in shape for some longer races in September and October (my goal races being Jelm and Silent Trails, while I am flirting with jumping in the Top of Utah Marathon with Jeff).  I think a tempo or fartlek once a week is a better alternative; work on my lack of threshold while not burning myself out too soon.  That said, I think Dr. Dan is going to make me do intervals this summer.

Thurs. June 23 - 8 miles in 62 min (7:45 pace).  I left work a little early in order to get up on the hill for a longer run.  Went out Headquarters to Brown's Landing and in on Summit.  I got hailed and rained on a little by a thunderstorm that was a little south of the area.  That was actually refreshing; I love the smell of that forest after some rain.

Fri. June 24 - 3.5 miles in 25 min (7:08 pace).  Ran to the UW track at lunch and did 8x100m barefoot strides on the infield with Josh.  Then I ran home.  Quick and easy little loosen-up run.

Sat. June 25 - 5 miles in 35 min (7:00 pace).  I got up dark and early to get over to Cheyenne for the Superday 5K at the ridiculously early start time of 7:30 am.  I figured it was time to return to this race after a four year absence.  Plus it was a good reason to catch up with some friends; Bish, Gabe, Cramer, Jerry, and Scooter were all there.  We went out pretty fast (or at least what felt pretty fast) in 5:22, then I backed off and hit 5:46 on the second mile and somewhere around 5:40 for the third.  I finished 5th overall in 17:29, making it my first sub-18 5K since the 2008 Wyoming Race for the Cure (I think) *EDIT: I ran a 17:20 at Race for the Cure in August of 2009*.  So, that's certainly a step in the right direction.  However, I did notice a strange "coincidence" regarding my racing at Superday.

I first ran Superday in 1999 at age 16.  I first won the race in 2002 in a time of 17:29.  I then placed third in both 2003 and 2004 with times of...17:29 each (that's the same time at the same race three years in a row).  I then won again in 2005 in 16:48 and 2006 in 16:20.  This is my first time back since, and I run a freaking 17:29.  I've run the race nine times, won three times, and run 17:29 four different years.  That's weird to me.  Does that actually happen?

Sun. June 26 - 15 miles in 117 min (7:47 pace).  The return of the Sunday long run!  I love long runs on the trails.  I went out Alder Trail to UW, out Headquarters, across Brown's Landing, down the backside of Headquarters onto Headquarters Road.  I stopped and munched a granola bar before hopping on Pole Creek.  I decided a foray up the Bitch was in order and I felt pretty good and smooth on the climb.  I came in on Summit, then UW to Alder, down Middle Aspen and finally up Pole Creek to finish the run.  I felt really good for the whole run.  It was a beautiful morning in Wyoming!

Totals:
Week's Miles: 45
Running Time: 5:58

June's Miles: 155
Year to Date: 659

Gear: Asics Speedstar 4 (434 miles, about to be retired) New Balance Trail 100 (311 miles)

No comments:

Post a Comment