Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Week Ending June 19

Mon. June 13 - 6.5 miles in 51 min (7:46 pace).  I went out at lunch with Jeff and Patrick.  My objective today was to get a few miles in on an easy run.  Since Patrick was taking it easy in preparation for Big Horn this weekend, he helped me accomplish that objective.

Tues. June 14 - 7 miles in 45 min (6:45 pace).  I did a 15 min warm-up to the UW track, with 4x100m strides. Then a 3-mile tempo run. I lifted this workout straight out of Jack Daniels. Based off the average pace of my runs (~7:40/mile), Daniels' suggested tempo pace is 6:03-6:20/mile. I did the workout at the track because a) Daniels suggests it and b) its been so long since I've done a tempo that I wanted somewhere that I could set and monitor a pace without worrying about terrain (a big mistake we always made with tempo runs in college). On the flat track surface, you can be assured that you are doing the workout exactly as it is intended. So, I ran the first mile in 6:18, found a comfortable cruising pace, and ran mile two in 6:09, and mile three in 6:04. Felt smooth the whole way. I feel confident I did the workout correctly and well. I'm pretty happy with it. I did another 4x100m strides barefoot on the infield grass, then a 10 min jog home.

Wed. June 15 - 11 miles in 84 min (7:38 pace).  Jeff picked me up after work for a trail session.  I feel that I need to bring back the mid-week long run, and this took care of that.  At my suggestion we did the big Pole Mountain loop, consisting of going down Pole Creek, then continuing past the turn-off for the Bitch and going straight onto Blair Wallis, then up the north Headquarters trailhead, onto the Brown's Landing and in on Headquarters.  It's a good loop and contains a decent amount of climbing when run the direction we went.  I felt pretty good on all the climbs.  No repeat of the disastrous Trudge Loop run from the previous week.  Started to get some stomach cramps toward the end, but they didn't impact my run.


Thurs. June 16 - Day off.  In retrospect, considering my weekend schedule, I should have run this day.  Oh well.


Fri. June 17 - 5 miles in 35 min (7:00 pace).  The return of the Friday form workout with Coach Sanchez!  Slightly tweaked program consisted of 8x200m form strides with batons in hand with 200m jog rest (e.g. 2 miles of track work).  I felt stiff and not very fluid on this one, but considering we haven't met up for a form workout since the end of April, I'm a little out of practice.  


Sat. June 18 - 5 miles in 37 min (7:24 pace).  I squeezed in a quick run before leaving for Denver for the weekend.  I did my south Laramie alley loop into the prairie for a short loop before heading home.  I didn't feel great on this run, but it was early and...well, that's my only excuse.


I went south to partake in the Westword Music Showcase in downtown Denver.  One outdoor mainstage and 150 local acts spread across many venues in a few-block radius.  My main mission was to once again (for the 6th time) see Murder By Death.  As to be expected, they were good, technical difficulties (Sarah broke BOTH her cello bows) aside.  

Murder By Death
I also took in Take to the Oars at Stoney's, featuring an old friend from high school, Mike, on the guitar.  It was good to see him onstage, kicking ass and following his passion.  That guy deserves it. 


And, I think this is unanimous, The Sword kicked everyone's ass.  I love stuff that is all kick-ass guitar riff.  The way rock should be.

The Sword
Sun. June 19 - No run for me.  Woke up and had breakfast in Denver, stopped at Centerra for some shopping, had lunch at Mt. Fuji in Fort Collins and then stopped in Cheyenne for dinner with my fam.  Busy day, but a good one.


Totals:
Week's Mileage: 35
Running Time: 4:20


June's Miles: 110
Year to Date: 614


Gear: Asics Speedstar 4 (424 miles) New Balance Trail 100 (281 miles)

No comments:

Post a Comment