Monday, April 18, 2011

Week Ending April 17

Mon. April 11 - Day off.

Tues. April 12 - 9 miles in 70 min (7:46 pace).  Nice run into the prairie with Patrick.  He was feeling a little under the weather, but apparently worked it out of his system by keeping up with me.  It was another beautiful day in Laramie, WY!

Wed. April 13 - 6.5 miles in 47 min (7:13 pace).  Hospital Hills workout.  Same thing as last week; 4 x 600m hill with 700m jog rest.  I hit the hills in 2:15, 2:15, 2:16, 2:19.  Faster and more consistent than last week, plus I ran uphill into a 20-30mph headwind which I figure cost me a good 2-3 seconds per rep.  That makes me feel pretty good.  I'm starting to get my climbing legs back under me.

Thurs. April 14 - 3 miles in 22 min (7:19 pace).  This was an aborted run sacrificed to the weather.  I decided to get out early in an attempt to beat the fierce winds the weather reports were predicting; however, I got out just in time to experience a driving snowstorm.  A combination of the cold, the heavy wet snow, the lack of visibility, the slick layer of slush on the road, and cars driven by morons persuaded me to sandbag it and go home.  Sometimes it just isn't worth it.  I don't want to kill myself for 5 miles in that kind of weather.

Fri. April 15 - 8.5 miles in 70 min (8:14 pace).  Patrick, Josh, and I hopped in the car and drove to Fruita, CO to help Alec with timing the Fruita Trail Festival.  We were blessed with perfect weather and beautiful trails.  The races took place in the McInnis Canyons Natural Area, so we hit up a run in the afternoon shortly after we rolled into town.  Ran up Moore Fun trail to Wrangler's Loop and back in on Mary's Loop.  Wonderful views of canyons and the Colorado River.

Sat. April 16 - Day off.  We were busy with race set-up, registration, and timing for the 25 mile and 50 miles races from about 4:30am to 8pm.  Unfortunately, no time for a run.  That was hard since it's difficult to sit around watching other people run and not want to go out and run yourself.  Watching people run those distances got me pretty pumped for my race next Saturday.

Sun. April 17 - 9 miles in 65 min (7:13 pace).  We timed the 5-mile and half-marathon in the morning and Patrick and Josh were kind enough to let me go out for a spin before we left for home.  I ran up Mack's Ridge to Troy Built and in on Lion's Loop.  Another great run on those amazing trails.

I have to say, I enjoyed working this weekend of races.  We had a great crew down there and got things done expertly and punctually.  I now have a greater appreciation for the work race organizers do.  Running the races is the easy part.  I look forward to helping Alec out again in the future, regardless of the lack of sleep I got (3:30 comes awfully early).

Totals:
Week's Miles: 36
Running Time: 4:34
Calories Burned: ~4,152


April's Miles: 94
Year to Date: 320

Gear: Asics Speedstar 4 (246 miles), New Balance Trail 100 (180 miles)


No comments:

Post a Comment