Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Playing Catch-up: Weeks Ending July 17 and July 24

I've had a long and complicated string of weeks, hence no weekly updates.  Of course, I am about to change all that!  I'm getting ready to settle in to upping my mileage in preparation for some big time adventures over the next couple of months.  So, in order to move on, here is a review of my last two weeks.  They are not as great as they could be, but, as I said, a lot of other things got in the way.  I'm not going to allow that anymore.

Tues. July 12 - 7 miles in 49 min (7:00 pace).  I met Dr. Dan and Ted for some relaxed repeat miles at the Laramie High track.  We had a window in the weather (it had been raining all day) that allowed us to stay mostly dry while on the track.  We hit 3 x 1 mile in 5:40, 5:40, and I came home in 5:38.  Our rests were 600m jogs in ~3:30.  I felt pretty decent considering the previous week's lack of running.

Wed. July 13 - 7.5 miles in 58 min (7:44 pace).  I hit the trails after work for a nice relaxing run.  I was a little sluggish at first but loosened up nicely.  I went out on Alder and Lower UW, then did the Summit-Headquarters loop and came in on Upper UW.  I had an issue with the flies out there, though.  While the Deet I was coated in kept the mosquitoes away, it seemed to have the opposite effect with flies.  Spent a lot of the run swiping those bastards from my face.

Thurs. July 14 - 4 miles in 30 min (7:30 pace).  I ran to the UW track at lunch for a shakeout workout.  Did some form drills, some plyometrics (jumping, lateral exercises), and then 8x100m barefoot strides on the infield.  Then I ran home.  Easy.

Sat. July 16 - 15 miles in 125 min (8:20 pace).  I camped up in the Snowy Range Friday night and went out for a long trail run in the morning.  I did the Corner Mountain loop to Highway 130, ran up the highway to the Little Laramie trailhead.  I went out the River Trail to Sand Lake Road and up to the North Fork trailhead, turned around and came back the same way.  It got a little warm toward the end of the run (I went through all 22oz. of my handheld), but otherwise I felt pretty good.

Wed. July 20 - 5.5 miles in 42 min (7:38 pace).  After a few days of near debilitating stress, it felt good to get on the trails for a few miles after work.  I went down Pole Creek to Aspen, up Haunted Forest, and in on Summit and Upper UW.

Thurs. July 21 - 6 miles in 47 min (7:49 pace).  I felt like junk on this run.  Cut it off shorter than I wanted.  Went out Alder and Lower UW, ran out Headquarters to the overlook and then came back in.  Bad day at the office.

Sun. July 24 - 24 miles in 4:20 (10:50 pace).  Did the infamous Rock Creek trail with Alec and Nate while Patrick and Brian joined for a few miles at the beginning.  This was our first training run for our Wind River crossing next month (which I'm still pretty sure is going to kill us).  Ran with a pack and trek poles, though I didn't use the poles much.  This is the longest run I have ever done.  I paced myself on the first half up to Sand Lake (~2200 ft. of gain), then let loose a little coming down.  I built a 20 minute lead on Alec and Nate before I fell apart on the last mile.  I walked most of that.  It's nice to get a perspective of my limitations at the moment.  That will come in handy next month on the Dinwoody Glacier.

Week Ending July 17 Totals:
34 miles in 4:37

Week Ending July 24 Totals:
36 miles in 5:49

July's Miles: 103
Year to Date: 788

Gear: Asics Speedstar 5 (9 miles), Asics HyperSpeed 3, New Balance Trail 100 (406 miles)

No comments:

Post a Comment