Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Week Ending June 1

Mon. May 26 - Left Jackson around 11:30 and spent the afternoon driving back to Cheyenne.  I was going to go for a short run when I got home, but I was starving and three nights of sleeping on the ground left me a little sore.  I chose to eat and chill instead.

Tues. May 27 - 8M in 1:04.  Easy run up at Happy Jack on my way home from work.  Trails are still sloppy in some places but are drying out quickly.  I ran out Ridge Trail to Headquarters/Overlook, out Browns Landing and in on Summit.  I generally despise running in the evening, but I want to start getting on the trails more (running the Greenway everyday is not the best training for 32 miles on mountain trails), and it's very easy to stop at the Jack on my way back over the hill.  Plus, it allows me an extra hour of sleep in the morning, and rest has become a pressing issue lately.  I'm old and tired.

Wed. May 28 - 11M in 1:16.  2M warm-up, then 8x5min at tempo pace with 30 second jog rests in between, 2M cool down.  I felt like I struggled on the last one, but I covered seven miles in the 40min of tempo.  I am satisfied with that. 

Thurs. May 29 - 5.5M in :45.  Quick out-and-back on Ridge/Headquarters/Overlook.  My calves were trashed from the previous day's workout.  Something about the Merrell flats I've been using has a tendency to destroy my calves.  I thought I had been getting used to them, but I guess one week off from using them for a workout or two brought me back to ground zero.

Fri. May 30 - 5M in :39.  Quick and easy morning run on the Greenway.  Calves are still pretty tight.  Lame.

Sat. May 31 - 10.5M in 1:30.  Silent Trails loop in the morning.  My calves were still a little tight, so I took the course conservatively.  The Bitch is still there in all its glory, but the long runs and Towers time-trials are certainly helping my climbing.  I am now mediocre at it.  But still pretty bad.

January: 169 (20:48)
February: 108 (14:32)
March: 200 (31:15)
April: 208 (25:37)
May: 270 (40:19)
Year to Date: 954 (132:31)

Sun. June 1 - 24M in 3:52.  Chris and I once again went south for the last true long run before Bighorn.  We went out Blue Sky, then hopped over the hogback via Rimrock Trail to Coyote Ridge, came back up-and-over, then out to Devil's Backbone and back in on Blue Sky.  


Blue Sky Trail.




Coming up out of Coyote Ridge Natural Area on the Rimrock Trail.


I refuse to participate in anymore of Chris's selfies.

Around the Laughing Horse Loop on the way back, mile 17 or so, I started to overheat badly.  The temperature had risen past 80F during the run, and the 80% humidity, coupled with a stifling lack of air movement (first time in my life I begged for wind), made for a suffocating few miles.  Most of the trails there are completely exposed, so we found one small shady spot on the trail and sat for a second.  I popped some endurolytes and ate the rest of the salty snacks I had.  


Avoiding heat stroke.
I cooled off in the shade for a bit and then hiked a mile or so down the trail to a small stream crossing which was thankfully in the shade of a large cottonwood.  I soaked my hat and shirt in that beautiful cool water and was able to pull it together for the last few miles.  And as is the ritual, Chris and I went directly to the nearest Chipotle for calories in burrito form.

Week's Total: 64M (9:06)
Year to Date: 978 (136:23)

*Photos: Chris Schabron*

No comments:

Post a Comment