Thursday, May 1, 2014

Lake Lowell Half-Marathon, End of April, Focus Moving Forward

It has been several weeks now since I raced the Lake Lowell Half, so maybe I should say a thing or two about it.  Lake Lowell is way the hell out in Nampa, and the weather wasn't great.  It was significantly cooler that morning than it had been the rest of the week I was up there, and the wind was howling out in Idaho wine/ag country (or whatever it is they are cultivating out there).  Reminded me of Wyoming wind, which is not a welcome thing ever, let alone on race day.

Now that I am writing this, I realize there is not much to say about this race.  I led from start to finish, fighting the wind on my own every step of the way on the first half of the out-and-back course.  The course was pretty flat and has the potential to be fairly fast on a less windy day.  I settled into a comfortable 6 minute per mile pace and just went with it.  At no point did I feel like I was struggling or working too hard.  Which is good.  That means my threshold fitness is coming around.  That will be beneficial for some ultras this summer and maybe a marathon this fall.

Somewhere around mile 8?
The second half of the race was much easier with a tailwind.  I finished in 1:20:11, which beat second place by just a hair under 10 minutes.  I thought, "Idaho has some faster folks somewhere, right?"  Looking at the results from The Race to Robie Creek, I think I found them.

Bringing home the bacon.

I also get the impression that, while I know there is a strong outdoor and running culture in Boise, it's not on the level of that which exists along the Front Range.  1:20 ain't winning shit in Colorado.  That said, I can't wait to get up there and become a part of it.

While it wasn't the most inspired course, and the weather wasn't great, which can't be helped, it was a well-organized race and they sure gave me a helluva lot of swag for not running all that fast.  My main prize was a free pair of Pearl Izumi shoes.  I went to Shu's Idaho Running to claim my prize in the form of some Trail N1s which I am thoroughly digging thus far. 

I hate to speak of times my feet can't run, but I think on a day with no wind and some fast dudes, I can run a 75, maybe 74-minute half right now.  And something about the half intrigues me.  I think it could potentially be a very good racing distance for me.  A nice combination of endurance and speed.

But, first things first.  Bighorn is looming on the horizon.  I have been stepping up the mileage and incorporating workouts lifted from Jack Daniels.  I am combining one or two of his marathon training workouts a week with Towers every other Thursday and a renewed focus on those pesky long runs on either Saturday or Sunday.  Those runs are, from now on, all on dirt and hopefully include some climbing.  Last week's 15-miler was up and down Pilot Hill.  I may do the same thing this weekend.  Or head south and get into the Quad Rock course.  

I did boycott the last two days because the weather was nothing short of bullshit.  Rain, snow, colder temps, and the wind.  My god, the wind.  I am not running in that anymore.  The result is that my planned 70 mile week just turned into a 50-55 mile week.  That's okay, because I had already gone up the previous two weeks (hitting 60 last week).  I was probably getting ready to make the mistake of trying to go up in mileage three weeks in a row.  I already know from years of experience that I don't handle that well.  So I will go up next week and the following week, in which I am gunning for 80.  I haven't touched 80 in nearly eight years.  After that, it's a matter of maintaining for a week or two before tapering for Bighorn.

Also, I think the gauntlet may be thrown down at Pilot Hill this year.  Chris is in great shape.  He destroyed Towers last week.  I climb like dog doo, but I think another month of miles will put me in a pretty good position.  And there's always the boys from down south.  They are tough as coffin nails on that course.

March 3-9: 42 miles
March 10-16: 45 miles
March 17-23: 42 miles
March 24-30: 52 miles
March 31-April 6: 52 miles
April 7-13: 44 miles
April 14-20: 54 miles
April 21-27: 60 miles

March Miles: 200
April Miles: 208
Year to Date: 684 (as of April 30)


No comments:

Post a Comment