Monday, June 10, 2013

Pilot Hill 25K and Some Catch-Up

It has been a very busy two or three weeks.  I've hit some decent mileage although I neglected to run at all a couple of weekends ago.  Moving occupied most of my time Memorial Day weekend.

I also finally had a good race.  I woke up the morning of Pilot Hill to colder, windy conditions with an overcast sky threatening rain.  I was concerned about the wind, but once on course, it was not that problematic.

Telling Nik a story.
More story telling.  Schabby in yellow, Nik , Nick Clark (No. 223), and Sam Malmberg (far right in blue singlet).
And we're off!
I wanted to approach this race differently from Quad Rock.  Before the start, I told myself to just go out easy and see how things were going once the climbing began.  I let a group, including Nick Clark, Sam Malmberg, and Nik Deininger, take off in the lead while I relaxed with the second group consisting of Chris Schabron, Dr. Dan Radosevich (the original Hungry Dog!), and Jason Gonzales.

"Group 2."  Schabby, me, Dr. Dan, and Jason G.
Schabby's having fun!
We ran and chatted on the first flat couple of miles before entering Owl Canyon.  We started to pick things up a tad through the first aid station and the start of the climb to middle aid station.  It was there that I started to feel good about my prospects that morning and chose to push it a little harder.  I dropped Schabby, Dan, and Jason, and went after a couple of runners who had fallen off the pace of the first group.  I rolled two of them up by middle aid station, and passed the third at the start of Devil's Staircase.

It was on the staircase that I saw Sam ahead of me.  It seemed to me like he was struggling just a bit.  I don't know if that's true, it was merely my perception.  I did receive that involuntary shot of adrenaline that I always get when I see someone ahead of me.  I can't help it.  Those old racing instincts always take over.

I decided the best thing to do was just settle and finish the climb as well as I could.  If I caught Sam, great, if not, oh well.  I was happy with how I was climbing.

I started up the last switchback at the top of Pilot Hill when Laine Parish passed me on the descent.  I asked him, "Where did you come from?"  I had no idea he was in front of me.  I was 5th to the top in 1:03:35, which may be the fastest I have ever made that ascent.  I don't recall what my ascent time was from 2008, but when I last raced in 2011, I puttered my way up in 1:08:58.  ~5:30 is a hell of an improvement.

I grabbed a drink and a handful of animal crackers and began the descent.  I caught up to Laine on the staircase.  I was concerned that he had bonked or was hurt, but when I passed him, he told me he was saving his knees.  That's a legitimate excuse on the staircase for sure.  The bedrock there is killer if one is careless.

Clarkie FTW!
Enjoying my descent.
Schabby had the third fastest descent of the morning.
The OHD himself.  New Master's CR.
I got back down quickly and alone (Sam would end up 1:22 ahead of me and Erik Boss would finish 1:01 behind).  The sun came out on the flats and it started to warm-up.  I kicked into the finish for fourth in 1:46:18.  My previous fastest time on that course was my 1:49:05 in 2008.  That's a pretty healthy course PR in my opinion.  

Clarkie finished first for the fourth time in five years with a new CR.  First guy under 1:40 in the modern era (the course used to be more straight up and down before a loop or two were added on the flats to extend it to 25K).  Deininger continues to show good form with a comfy second, and Sam had plenty of a gap over me to finish third.  My observation after talking with folks after the race was that most people had a pretty good day.  I think the results corroborate that sentiment.

Overall, I was pleased with this race.  I let the race come to me instead of trying to get after the race like I did at Quad Rock.  That is a huge difference between track/road racing and trail racing.  One can go after the race over shorter, flatter distances.  The ultra trail stuff has too much it can throw at you.  I am trying to relax more at the beginning.  Let it flow.

Jefe sure "let it flow" with his outfit.  WTF?

Some analytics:
May 20-26: 30M in 3:55
May 27-June 2: 51M in 6:14
---------------------------------------------------------------- 
January: 107 (15:29)
February: 132 (18:29)
March: 170 (21:25)
April: 158 (21:26)
May: 195 (26:42)
2013: 759 (103:32)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
June 3-9: 53M in 6:43

Gear: Asics Speedstar 6 (97M), Saucony Peregrine 2 (161M)

I didn't run the mileage I wanted before Bighorn, but it will have to do.  The objective now: survive.  Elizabeth and I leave around midday Thursday.  We'll stay with the Fullers in Sheridan Thursday night, then grab my race packet and watch the start of the 100M Friday before heading up to the mountains to camp Friday night.  Then race time!

I also spent the weekend down south, kicking it with the ladies in Estes Park and Rocky Mountain.  Had a good time.  Just the beginning of summer adventures.


Longs Peak from Gem Lake trail.

Camping in Estes Park.

Trail Ridge Road.

Heather and Elizabeth enjoying the elevation.

Longs Peak over Estes Park.
  

*All Pilot Hill pictures by Jenny Jones for High Plains Harriers*

No comments:

Post a Comment