Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Week Ending April 8

Another great training week in the books.  I feel like I might have things officially back on track.  It's time to buckle down and really focus on Bighorn.  I think May will be spent trying to get in as many miles as my body can handle.  I still have this crazy notion of shooting for the mythical triple digit mileage week before Bighorn, but I don't want to write checks my body can't cash.  So, for now, I'll just build up as best I can and see what happens.


Horsetooth Half has been officially added to my schedule.  I had no intention of racing a road half, but Jason decided he was going to hop in it, so I was convinced to join him.  I have never run an actual half before, so this is a new thing for me.  I feel pretty confident I can run a decent race, but we'll see.  My goal will be to hang on to Jason as long as I can.  Though the smart thing to do would be to just let him go because when it comes to road racing, especially half-marathons and marathons, Delaney matriculates on an entirely different level from me.


This week was my highest mileage week since December 2006.  Five and a half years is a pretty long time to suck at running.  On with the show!


Mon. April 2 - 4 miles in 29 min (7:15 pace).  My easy rest day consisted of a post-work run on the Greenbelt followed by a pretty thorough core workout.


Tues. April 3 - A.M. 4 miles in 28 min (7:00 pace).  Morning run on the Greenbelt.  Felt pretty good.


P.M. - 7 miles in 44 min (6:17 pace).  Tuesday Night Tempo.  Two mile warm-up to Washington Park, then a 3 mile tempo run in 17:30 (5:50 pace), finished off with a two mile cool down home.  Pretty decent tempo.  I felt a little sluggish for the first half mile or so, but seemed to loosen up pretty well after that.


Wed. April 4 - Noon - 8 miles in 53 min (6:40 pace).  Lunch run on the West Laramie loop on what was a beautiful day in the neighborhood.


P.M. - 5 miles in 43 min (8:35 pace).  HPH Full Moon Run.  We started at 9pm and went for a five-mile loop in the prairie.  I wasn't super thrilled to be out there since I am usually getting to bed at nine (since I'm an old man), but after a couple of miles of stumbling over the limestone bedrock along the fenceline, I perked up a little and started to be a little more gregarious.  While the full moon was actually on Friday, we still had plenty of light out there.


Thurs. April 5 - 11.5 miles in 85 min (7:23 pace).  I met El Jefe, Patrick, and Ted for a lunch run in the prairie.  Another gorgeous, warm day, so I brought the handheld water bottle with me.  I ran from home, met those guys at Half Acre, then did an 8 mile loop out in the prairie, then continued on home.  Good mid-week long run.  


Fri. April 6 - 6 miles in 40 min (6:40 pace).  I met El Jefe and Jordan at the UW track for some Friday form work.  2x form drills followed by 16x100m barefoot strides on the infield.  Felt good to kick off the shoes!


Sat. April 7 - 8 miles in 71 min (8:52 pace).  The WARTs met at the Volin trailhead at Crystal Reservoir for what had been planned to be a 17-25 mile long run on the trails.  However, when we got there, a 50 mph wind was tearing through the area, cutting through a couple layers of clothing and generally making everyone cold and miserable.  We got into the canyon and out of the wind a little and found things to be somewhat tolerable.  At that point, I was still thinking I'd head out for another lap and get my 15 or 16 miles in.  But as we came around Crystal, we ran straight into the wind and any gumption I had disappeared.  We struggled back to the cars and said, "$%&* this!" and went home.  Josh and Alec, ever the masochists, continued on and did the whole 25 mile loop.  Sounds like it sucked.


Sun. April 8 - 13 miles in 91 min (7:00 pace).  I got up early in Cheyenne to get this one in before our Easter brunch at 9am.  I did a variation of the old Capitol Loop with a trip around both parks, Monterrey Heights, and Western Hills.  I didn't get in as long of a long run as I had wanted this weekend, but it will do.  I got a bloody nose over the last mile thanks to all the dry, windy air recently.  I love spring in Wyoming sometimes.  Oh well, good end to a good training week.


Totals:
Week's Miles: 67
Running Time: 8:04
Year to Date: 604 (66:02 running time)


Gear: Asics Sky Speed (270 miles) Saucony Peregrine (274 miles)

1 comment: