Monday, April 8, 2013

Updates

I have been down to Moab and back since the last post.  We were graced with fairly poor weather during our trip, enduring blizzards and downpours going to and coming back (Vail Pass was a shit show), as well as enjoying the coldest weekend in Moab in weeks (highest temp we saw was 59 degrees, very briefly).  It was good to catch up with guys.  It was good to sit around a fire.  It was good to sleep in my tent.  And it was good to get in some trail miles, both on foot and on bike.

Chris and me running Porcupine Rim.

Wasn't feeling super hot, but a good view can make up for it.

The "Three Amigos" (me, Chris, Brian Knight) present for a Delicate Arch sunset.

Delicate Arch, Arches National Park.

Epic mountain bike ride on Porcupine Rim.  Jeremy and Hisch enjoy the view.

Taking a break, assessing bike damage (among us, we would take care of three tires, two chains, and one rear shock).  L to R: Cosmo, Hisch, Brian Knight, Jeremy, Matt.

A reunion of Wyoming's 2004 Men's Cross-Country team.  L to R: Matt Hudson, Brian Harnisch, me, Jeremy Thompson, Chris Schabron, Brian Knight, and Nick Cramer.

I came home from Moab and spent three days on my butt feeling pretty poorly.  I am not sure what got into my system.  I felt very light-headed, nauseated, and very, very tired.  Then, Wednesday night, it just quit and I immediately felt better.  I am a renowned hypochondriac, so I wondered if I wasn't just thinking it up.  However, I got word from my friend Sid that he suffered from a similar illness this past week.  There may be a little bug going around.

Feeling that way left my running last week unfulfilled.  The weather still is not helping most of the time.  And by last weekend, I was more concerned with eating my weight in breakfast foods at Easter brunch than I was with getting in some miles.  However, I came back strong this week and polished off some quality miles with a 16:40 5K here in Laramie, which, when converted, would be good for a 16:16 or so at sea level.  Considering I have done exactly one tempo run this year, I will take it.

Start of Jackalope Loop 5k, Laramie.  Record number of participants.  Pretty decent weather (for once).  Photo by Wendy Perkins.

Third mile, feeling the beers from the night before.  Photo by Wendy Perkins.
After the race, Elizabeth and I went for a hike in Curt Gowdy State Park.  This is Hidden Falls.

Hiking buddies!

Balancing rock on El Alto trail.

Curt Gowdy from Scenic Overlook.

The weather is once again supposed to be undesirable the first half of this coming week.  Spring, where for art thou?

Week of March 18 - 24
50 miles (36 run, 14 bike) in 8' 19" (4'49" run, 3'30" bike)

Week of March 25 - 31
17 miles in 2' 02" (sick)

March: 184 miles in 24' 55" - 170 run (21' 25"), 14 bike (3'30")
Year to Date: 534 miles in 65' 12" - 409 run (55' 23"), 125 bike (9' 49")

Week of April 1 - 7
59 miles in 9' 01"

Gear: Asics Speedstar 6 (327 miles), Asics 2000 Trail (209 miles), Saucony Peregrine 2 (400 miles), Asics HyperSpeed 3 (114 miles)

No comments:

Post a Comment