Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Week Ending October 23

I am very stoked about this past week's worth of running.  While I didn't do anything drastic, I felt really good on every single run, and I ran everyday of the week.  I haven't done that since college over five years ago.  I am trying not to get too excited.  It was, after all, only the first week of my winter training schedule, but the week has left me very optimistic that I am pursuing the right course and potentially setting myself up to be successful.

I spent a few hours putting together a program, and implored the knowledge of Jason Delaney as well as elicited advice on plyometrics and core exercises from Quincy Howe, assistant track coach at the University of Wyoming.  Their advice and encouragement has been above and beyond, and I am excited to put their suggestions into action.

Mon. Oct. 17 - 3.5 miles in 26 min (7:25 pace).  I did a quick and easy morning run on the Greenbelt along the Laramie River.  Followed it up with quick some core exercises.  Mondays will be my recovery days going forward.

Tues. Oct. 18 - 4 miles in 30 min (7:30 pace).  Another short run on the Greenbelt.  I went out after work in some slightly brisk, but wonderfully sunny weather.  While I had sworn to get my runs done in the morning, a strange thing happened; I actually felt really good on this evening run.  Weird.

Wed. Oct. 19 - 8 miles in 59 min (7:26 pace).  Again I waited until after work to run and again...I had a really good run.  What's going on here?  Anyway, I went up the hill for a longer trail run.  I did what I like to refer to as the "Southwestern Portion" of the Silent Trails course (e.g. Upper UW, Summit, Browns, Headquarters loop).  I felt smooth and strong the whole run.  Another beautiful day in Laramie, WY!

Thurs. Oct. 20 - 5.5 miles in 41 min (7:23 pace).  Got out in the morning and did a loop around the northwest corner of Laramie East.  Felt pretty good again.  Followed with core exercises.

Fri. Oct. 21 - 6 miles in 40 min (6:40 pace).  I did a three mile warm-up run to the Indoor Practice Facility where I did 2x30m of barefoot high knees, butt kicks, quick single-leg cycles, lateral bounds, and karioka.  I followed that with 8x100m barefoot strides.  Then I ran home.  I felt strong and fast on the strides.  This will be my Friday routine, more or less, and is based on what I was doing with Coach Sanchez last spring.  Form is important going into the winter.

Sat. Oct. 22 - 6.5 miles in 45 min (6:55 pace).  I did an old favorite, the Airport Golf Course/Lions Park loop in Cheyenne.  Very nice morning over there.  Good little run before filling in at Foot of the Rockies (yes, I have been working a few hours at the shoe store again).

Sun. Oct. 23 - 11 miles in 78 min (7:05 pace).  Single Trudge loop.  Met a group of folks at the Blair picnic area for some Sunday morning trail fun.  Split off at the start with Chris Schabron and Horsecow Lonac, as well as Sandra's dog, Nick, and set a pretty good pace throughout.  I got to see some of the benefits of the core strengthening I have been doing.  For the first time, I put together all the climbs on the Trudge loop.  I felt amazing, and was glad to share the beautiful weather with some good friends.  Sandra and I followed the run by scarffing down delicious Corona Village burritos after. 

Totals
Week's Miles: 45
Running Time: 5:19
Year to Date: 1259

Gear: Asics SpeedStar 5 (201 miles), Saucony Peregrine (32 miles)

No comments:

Post a Comment