Friday, September 16, 2011

Remembering Eight



I was going to try to write some grand reflection about my thoughts and memories concerning the eight guys and the tragedy that took them from us too soon those ten years ago.  However, I'm not sure that I have it in me.  I have missed those guys, especially my best friend Kevin Salverson, everyday of the last ten years, and I have let the tragedy of that September day dictate so much of my life since that I don't really remember who I was before that time.  I have spent ten years trying to figure that out.  Maybe I'm tired, maybe I've grieved too much, maybe I've spent too much time over-thinking everything.  In ten years I have come to two conclusions: I can't think of one good thing about what happened and the only thing in my life that has ever truly made me happy is running.  But is that really enough?

I will leave some links to stories concerning the eight below.  I feel like today of all days, other people who weren't so close to the tragedy can perhaps use that distance to explain things more coherently and less emotionally than I can.

Billings Gazette

Wyoming Tribune-Eagle

Laramie Boomerang

Denver Post

Running Times

Sports Illustrated
I took this photo my first day in Laramie, August, 2002.  The Wyoming Dept. of Transportation has since removed this cross.
Kevin on the right, me on the left.  August 23, 2000, my aunt Melody's 40th birthday party.  I was 17, Kevin 18.
Great photo by Daniel Petty, Denver Post.  L to R: Nick Cramer, me, Jason Delaney, Chris Jons.  Always A Cowboy 8K, Laramie.  9/10/11.  We carry on, as best we can.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment