Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Week Ending October 30

Back-to-back solid weeks for the first time in forever.  Consecutive days running count up to 14.  I must say, I am still feeling pretty good and excited about this whole adventure.  Here's what I did this past week.

Mon. Oct. 24 - 4 miles in 29 min (7:15 pace).  I did my new quick and easy four-mile out-and-back on the Greenbelt for my Monday morning recovery run.  Followed the run with a stretching routine.  Hamstrings and right IT band have been a little tight.

Tues. Oct. 25 - 6 miles in 41 min (6:49 pace).  I did what I am referring to as my Southeast Laramie loop.  My place, over the tracks, then I followed Garfield east and around Washington Park.  I went south around LaPrele, hit up the "pretty alley" and Spring Creek, then up 9th St. back to Garfield and back over the tracks.

Wed. Oct. 26 - A.M. 3 miles in 24 min (8:00 pace).  I did a quick little morning run on the Greenbelt.

P.M. 7.5 miles in 56 min (7:28 pace).  PUB RUN!  Met the crew at The Alibi, then a long jaunt across town to Mingles, another long jaunt back across town to Mulligan's, then a jaunt over the tracks to Bud's, and finished with dinner at Lovejoy's.  Brisk temps and icy roads made this one an adventure, but great company and tasty brews more than made up for the near-death experiences.

Thurs. Oct. 27 - 4 miles in 28 min (7:03 pace).  Quick post-work run just to get something in.  Followed with a core workout and a lot of food.

Fri. Oct. 28 - 6 miles in 38 min (6:19 pace).  Form Workout.  Same as last week.  Run to the IPF, 2x30m form exercises, 8x100m strides, run home. 

Sat. Oct. 29 - 6.5 miles in 51 min (7:50 pace).  Chris Schabron and I got an early start in Cheyenne on what was a windy, brisk morning.  Took it easy on the Greenway.  Then we travelled south to spectate at the Mountain West Conference cross country championships.  Pokes had a bad day at the office, but that team is more talented than their 5th-place showing.  Hopefully they'll regroup and race well at NCAA Regionals in two weeks.  Good luck, WYO!

One thing that struck me was how much different the Mountain West is now compared to even just 5-6 years ago when I was finishing up.  Case in point, my senior cross season (2005), the conference meet was on the same golf course in Fort Collins in similar conditions (our race had less snow, but colder temps).  I had my best XC race ever, placing 21st overall with a time of 25:32.  I was UW's fourth man that day, and as a team we placed fourth.  Six years later, BYU is no longer part of the conference, New Mexico has become a solid program with good coaching, CSU isn't as deep or strong as it used to be, Boise State appears to be middle of the pack, and TCU is bottom of the barrel.  My time from six years ago at the same meet on the same course would have placed me eighth this year.  And I was nothing more than a middle-of-the-pack runner. 

Makes you wonder if all this conference realignment that appeases football programs is maybe not a good thing for every other sport.

Sun. Oct. 30 - 12.5 miles in 89 min (7:09 pace).  Sunday morning long run with Chris in Cheyenne.  Beautiful morning for a run, what more can I say?  Felt good, had a good conversation with Chris, and finished off the second week of my build-up strong.

Totals:
Week's Miles: 50
Running Time: 5:57
Year to Date: 1309

Gear: Asics SpeedStar 5 (248 miles) Saucony Peregrine (35 miles)

No comments:

Post a Comment