Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Catch-Up: Weeks Ending August 14 and August 21

This one will be short and sweet.  Just catching up on the numbers from the last two weeks.  I will have a full write-up (complete with pictures!) of my experience during our Wind River Crossing last week.  I'm still digesting it; such an unbelievable experience, it deserves my full, undivided attention.

Tues. August 9 - 8.5 miles in 64 min (7:31 pace).  Lunchtime run in the prairie in Laramie.  I recall thinking it was a little hot.  Mid-80's in Laramie is pretty warm.

Thurs. August 11 - 11 miles in 79 min (7:10 pace).  I decided to hit up the full Silent Trails course after work.  I relaxed down Pole Creek to find myself feeling pretty decent at the base of The Bitch.  I decided to work the climb pretty hard, making the ascent in 12:32, my best time on the climb in a couple of years.  After that, I still felt pretty good so I decided to push it a little on Browns and Headquarters.  While my fastest time on this course is 70 minutes, I think that with continued, consistent training and a few more forays on the course, I can run 68 min or so come race time in October.

Sat. August 13 - 6.5 miles in 51 min (7:50 pace).  I was in western Michigan for a friend's wedding.  I hit up this run with a buddy and just took it easy.  We went out for about 30 minutes on some wonderful country roads through fruit orchards, then came back for about 20 minutes of barefoot running on the shores of Lake Michigan.  Not a bad little run.

I feel like I slacked a little this week, but I travelled quite a bit and I was attempting a pseudo-taper for the Wind River Crossing.  I didn't figure I should thrash myself a week before I thrash myself.  So, it is what it is.

Week's Miles: 26
Running Time: 3:14
Year to Date: 897

Wed. August 17 - 50 miles in 21:11 (25:25 pace).  Wind River Crossing 2011.  Possibly the most difficult thing I have ever done.  As I mentioned above, I will provide a write-up of this in the next couple of days.  Short and sweet facts: after pre-run mileage estimates of 45 miles, we have all agreed that it was pretty much 50 even.  Starting elevation: 7,596.  Highest elevation: 12,834. Total elevation gain: 10,095.  Total elevation loss: 6,904.  And five beat-up, but ultimately no-worse-for-wear guys.

Sun. August 21 - 5 miles in 35 min (7:00 pace).  First run out since the crossing.  Quick and easy loop around north Cheyenne to loosen up some of the kinks.  Other than a somewhat sore right shoulder, my body seems to have recovered quickly and well from the ordeal.

Week's Miles: 55
Running Time: 21:46
Year to Date: 952

Gear: Asics Speedstar 5 (63 miles), New Balance Trail 101 (92 miles)

No comments:

Post a Comment