Friday, August 24, 2012

Past Few Weeks-Snowy Range Run, Pikes Peak Ascent, Murder By Death

Things have not slowed down since returning from Rainier.  In fact, I am finding that I may have overbooked myself a little.  I'm getting pretty tired and haven't spent a lot of time at home.  Oh well, now is the time to get these adventures in before winter comes.  I'll have plenty of time at home then.

That has also left little time for this whole blog updating thing.  I'm here now to rectify that.  So, where shall we begin?

For starters, I've been getting focused on running again.  Horsecow and I have a rumble scheduled on the road up and down Jelm Mountain next month.  Barring any catastrophe over the next month, he and I, after a year of smack talk, chest beating, boasting, injuries, and scheduling conflicts, will finally toe the line at the same race.  It's a winner-take-all affair, with all the attendant bragging rights.  We shall finally see what is tougher, a horsecow or a HUNGRY DOG!

A short recap of the Wyoming Komen Race for the Cure: This year was the 10th anniversary of Team Green, and the sisters set out to raise $10,000.  The goal was more than accomplished, with them raising over $12k by race day.  Great job!

Now, this was my first 5K since April, when I hurt my hip.  I have done exactly zero speed work since.  So, I had no great expectations going in.  My only goals were to break 17 and beat Jerry Reif, an elder Hungry Dog who, in his mid-forties, is still a kick-ass runner.  I haven't beaten Jerry in a race in many years.  So, my thinking was, if I can beat Jerry, I'm having a pretty good day.

The race started and I decided to just get out quickly, find a groove, and go.  I hit the first mile in 5:13, which may have been a little fast.  The second mile was a more controlled 5:26, and I came home with a 5:30-ish mile to finish in 16:48.  That was good enough for third place, and was also good enough to beat Jerry, who finished fourth in 17:06.  I'll take it.

The next day, we had an HPH group run around Browns Peak in the Snowy Range.  12 miles on a perfect morning with good folks on a wonderful trail around 11k feet.  Follow that with breakfast burritos, pie, and a couple PBRs at the Bear Tree and you've got yourself a recipe for an awesome day.

Sugarloaf and Medicine Bow Peak behind me.

Snowy Range.

HPH crew ready to go!

After some light running early last week, Elizabeth and I went to Denver to see Murder By Death at the Bluebird.  This was MBD show seven for me, and I swear they get better every time.  They had 4 on the Floor and Ha Ha Tonka opening, and both bands were superb.

Friday, we drove down to Colorado Springs to hang out with Horsecow and grab my stuff for the Pikes Peak Ascent in Manitou Springs.  We got up early Saturday morning to get to the start line.  We met up with Mr. Delaney, who looked very fit and ready to go.

The Ascent is one of the hardest things I've done.  I wouldn't say it was as difficult as Rainier, at least from a psychological standpoint, but it was still pretty brutal.  The first couple of miles out of Manitou and up toward the Barr Trail and the W's was the hardest part for me.  I forced myself to walk some of the switchbacks because I just wasn't feeling sharp.  It was discouraging to feel that way that early and know that things were going to suck for another couple of hours.  


First mile coming out of Manitou.  Not comfortable.  Photo: Colorado Springs Gazette.

However, about halfway through, the course levels out for a couple of miles at around 10k feet going into Barr Camp.  I was able to open up a little and get loose on that section, which got me plugged back into the race mentally.  I actually came to enjoy some of it, and race photos show me with a smile on my face.  For some reason, I run really well between 9k and 11,500 feet.  Above and below, I am mediocre at best.

The "Top Three" above treeline gets to be a march.  Above 12k, it's hard to do much running, especially over some sections of boulders the last couple of miles.  The last bit is a little steep as well, so I hiked most of the last three miles.  I finished in 108th in 3:16, a time I'll take since I didn't train for it.  I also wasn't completely wrecked from it, either.  I was pleasantly surprised with how good I felt after.

Getting close to the top.  Photo: Colorado Springs Gazette.


Jason powers home for the W.  Photo: Colorado Springs Gazette.

After the race, I drove up to Golden to hang out with the Champ (Jason won the Ascent in 2:13) and his family before heading back to Laramie Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment